Tips for getting a great breakfast:
- Make sure your breakfast consists of complex carbohydrates (ex: whole grain cereal, wheat bread, fruit, low- fat milk), protein (ex: eggs/egg whites, lean meat, nuts), and some healthy fat (peanut butter, nuts, light cream cheese).
- Look for whole wheat bread and grain products instead of white/refined products.
- Choose low-fat (skim, 1% or 2%) milk and dairy products.
- Limit your intake of fried foods, grease, and extra gravies & sauces.
- Aim to get fruit into your breakfast either as a juice or as a whole fruit.
Amy Goodson, MS, RD, CSSD, LD is a registered dietitian for Ben Hogan Sports Medicine and serves as the sports dietitian for the Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers, FC Soccer Dallas, Jim McClean Golf School, Texas Christian University Athletics, and University of Texas at Arlington Athletics. In addition, she is an adjunct professor and dietetic intern preceptor for Texas Woman’s University, Texas Christian University and the University of Texas at Arlington and is a state media representative for the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. . She received her Bachelor of Science degree in speech communications from Texas Christian University and Masters in Exercise and Sports Nutrition from Texas Woman’s University.